How to Expand Your Health Coaching Income
For some reason, I’ve noticed that a lot of people in the healing/helping industries have this “I don’t deserve money” complex, and I wish we could get past that.
We’re Worth More
It took me a lot of years to realize that just because I’m in the business of helping people, it doesn’t mean I have to sacrifice my own well-being to do that. After all, you’re HELPING people. Shouldn’t that mean you deserve to make a LOT of money? I mean, Coca Cola and Marlboro are billion (trillion?) dollar businesses and they’re literally killing people!
I got out of the business of seeing clients one-on-one exactly because it’s really hard to make a great living without working 100 hours a week. After all, there’s not only the face-to-face time with clients, but there’s also the blogging, the marketing, the Facebooking, the health fairs, the clinics, the networking with doctors and other referring practitioners. It’s SO MUCH work, and most of those hours are unpaid.
Think Outside of the
I think we should all be exploring other avenues of income besides the face-to-face variety. You can only see so many clients in a day. And that’s where the internet comes into play.
First, you’ll need a platform – a blog. Then you can explore infinite possibilities of income from online products: ebooks, subscription services, online info products, and affiliate marketing are just a few. This is income that comes when you’re asleep, or when you’re writing those blogs or Facebook posts so those hours are indeed paid.
As an example of this, I’d like to tell you about a project I’m involved in right now called The Weight Loss Solution Online Conference – For Women Only.
My partner in this endeavor, Dave Sinick (he runs PaleoHacks.com), and I came to the conclusion that women are underserved in the health and wellness space, particularly on the topic of weight loss. Even though every health blogger I know says that their audience is almost completely made up of women, there’s not a lot of information out there on women-specific issues.
Women’s Topics That Are Underserved Online
- female hormones’ connection to fat gain and loss
- how to maintain or lose weight during and after menopause
- what changes women need to make to an intermittent fasting schedule
- how do you safely lose baby weight, and when should you start trying?
- what are some women-specific guidelines on carb intake for weight loss?
- what about serious female athletes – how do they lose weight and not lose their periods, too?
I had to figure these things out on my own along my personal weight loss and health journey. So in order to save women half their lives seeking out high-quality, practical information from true experts, I decided to put an online conference together and reach as many women as I possibly could at the same time. No office hours involved.
Here’s the banner for it – you might start seeing it around.
What’s An Online Conference?
You’ve probably seen “summits”, “online events”, or “online conferences” here and there. They’re becoming popular in the health world online because they serve 2 honorable purposes:
- They provide people with invaluable information from experts on specific topics from true experts.
- They make a lot of money for the organizers, promoters, and presenters.
I’m telling you about all this because, first of all, it’s a good thing for you to consider doing yourself, and secondly because I think mine is pretty awesome and I want you to tell your clients and patients about it 🙂
Here’s how it works.
- I did video interviews with over 35 people who know a lot about losing weight in a sustainable, healthy way. They were about an hour each, and it took me a few months to get it done. I recorded those either on skype, google hangouts, or in person with a camera guy.
- We created supplemental information to go along with the videos, as well as transcriptions of all of the videos.
- On October 21st through November 12th, we’ll allow people to freely watch 4 new videos every 48 hours, as long as they’ve registered, which means they provided us with their email addresses.
- We’ll email all of the registrants every time there are new videos to watch, and whenever there are bonus materials for them.
- During and after the event, we offer our registrants an All Access Pass to the event, just in case they didn’t have time to watch all of the videos. This is what’s for sale. It’s access to all of the videos, transcriptions, and bonus materials either online or in physical form.
- Each of the presenters (and anyone else who’s interested) signs up as an affiliate to the event, meaning they send their readers to the event. They receive a commission for every one of their readers who purchases an All Access Pass.
Basically, I got to talk to 35 of the people I respect most in my Paleo/Primal world of bloggers and I’ll eventually get paid for it – potentially enough to get me through the next year. All of the affiliates and presenters will also earn a decent amount to pay for their time and hard-earned knowledge. In the meantime, we’ll all have supported potentially hundreds of thousands of women who are desperately trying to regain their health and shed fat.
Other Possible Online Products
You don’t have to undertake something this huge to make extra income – this is just one possibility. Consider writing an ebook on a topic you’re passionate about and selling it on your site. Or consider starting a subscription service – meal planning, weight-loss challenges, and workout programs are all good options. The initial investment in time and money is kind of a pain in the butt, especially on top of your hours with clients, etc., but I promise you it will be worth it in the end.
Once again, here’s my latest online product. Please check it out to see what I’m talking about, and definitely pass it on to your clients and patients if you think they’d be interested!