Day 2 of Integrative Nutrition Live Conference March 2013
To read a recap of Day 1, CLICK HERE.
The second day of the Integrative Nutrition Live Conference March 2013 was just as IINspiring as the first. Over 1000 IIN grads filled the Jazz at Lincoln Center for a day of community, connection and IINspiration. Here are some of the highlights from Day 2.
Mindset Secrets for Health Coaches
Fabienne Fredrickson kicked things off by talking about our mindset as Holistic Practitioners trying to market a business.
Here are some of the highlights from her talk.
- We don’t always fit in when we want to change the world.
- We are here for a different reason, to make the world a better place, the way only we can do it.
- We are here to share our vegan, gluten free, organic “brownies”
- When you don’t share your brownies, you are not being of service to the world.
- We change the world one client at a time.
- Add a zero to that, and you can affect 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 people with your message.
- The more people you serve, the more money you make.
How to play a bigger game.
- Create a message around your “brownies” – story, message, mission
- Create a clear marketing message around it, get out there in a much bigger way.
- You then multiply your income dramatically.
So why isn’t every entrepreneur doing this?
- “Who am I to be really successful?” – felling of not being good enough or knowing enough
- Feeling of not deserving abundance
- Playing too small – what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
- Self sabotaging behaviors. Things we do that go against our goals.
- A very loud inner critic.
- Using excuses to not take action.
- 1. I don’t have money.
- 2. I don’t have time
- 3. I’m not ready, fear
- 4. It’s too hard
- Must say yes to the new opportunity that shows up as the answer to your dreams.
- Perfection paralysis
- Analysis paralysis
You were never taught that to experience abundance 3 things need to be congruent.
1. Thoughts – takes same amount of effort to play big or small.
2. Beliefs – if you have fear of success or abundance
3. Actions – you can say “I want a 6 figure biz and I believe I can, but even if they are congruent, if your actions aren’t lined up, nothing will happen.
Thoughts (conscious)+beliefs(subconscious)+actions(behavior)= congruence.
Mindset is 90% of the reason for your success or failure, because it controls your actions.
Your subconscious mind(what you believe and fear) holds the trump card.
If you want to succeed, you must look inside.
The inner game of abundance
Step 1 – Dream bigger
Step 2 – Clear and upgrade your belief system
Step 3 – Act with faith
Have courage in taking action in spite of your fears
Stretch beyond your existing comfort zone.
Goddard College to Offer M.A. Degree Program for IIN Graduates
Dr. Greg Braxton Brown announced a M.A. degree program with Goddard College. By fall, there will be a special M.A. degree program specifically for IIN graduates.
36 credits, 3 semesters
Create your own unique education around health and wellness.
Dennis Kucinich Shares His Personal Health Journey
Another unique aspect of the IIN experience is the diversity of supporters the program has. Former U.S. Congressman Dennis Kucinich was joined by his wife, Elizabeth Jane Kucinich, who is the director of public affairs for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
After talking about the state of the healthcare system in the U.S., Mr. Kucinich shared his struggle with Crohn’s disease and his personal journey to health. After spending years struggling with Chron’s, he discovered a plant based diet and transformed his health.
Elizabeth Kucinich from http://pcrm.org/ reminded us that every time we choose the food we put into our bodies, we express what we want to be in the world.
Our food choices determine agricultural policies, what foods are in our supermarkets, etc.
Think about the larger consequences of our actions.and even larger issues like climate change, since industrial animal agriculture is the largest cause of greenhouse gases.
Mr. Kucinich closed with talking about whether or not many hereditary diseases are not actually created by the food and lifestyle choices we inherit from our family and culture..
Path and Passion
Marilena Minucci from http://quantumcoachingmethod.com/ told us that the current state of your path is a direct reflection of your relationship to your passion.
Then she shared some tips for turning your scared places into sacred spaces.
- ask for help
- get out of your own way
- none of us are ever alone in this work
- collaboration gets us farther than working alone, need to jump into the river
- Whatever you are stuck on, do it, deal with it, or delete it from your list
She gave some questions to ask yourself daily:
- What is the very next step I need to take even if it scares me?
- Even if I have no idea where it will lead?
- Even if it upsets the order of my life?
- Are you going to listen to the fear or follow the flow? The only way to get 100% on the test is to not get 100%. This was a good reminder for those of us that get stuck wanting everything to be perfect before we get started.
One of her secrets to get back on the path of your passion is to couple self compassion with self care
- Are you making self care a priority?
- Remember that healing the world starts with you.
Candice Kumai gets Sexy in the Kitchen
Celebrity chef Candice Kumai from http://www.candicekumai.com shared tips on how to cook yourself sexy from her new book “Cook Yourself Sexy.”
She had the crowd in hysterics with her impersonation of her more traditional Japanese mother and grandmother, apologizing each time she finished saying “I can’t help myself”
A term that Candice coined in her new book is FWB – foods with benefits.
Everything you consume should give something back to you.
I think everyone in the audience resonated with the subtitle of her book, sexy is made in the kitchen not in the bar.
Gabrielle Bernstein Tells Us We are all Miracle Workers
Gabrielle Bernstein of http://gabbyb.tv/ took the stage fresh off of graduating from her Kundalini teacher training. One of the cool things about watching people travel the spiritual path on the public stage is seeing them mature. You can really feel the shift when someone is talking about being of service to the world and actually in alignment with what they are saying.
Here were some nuggets from Gabrielle’s talk:
- My bottom was my greatest gift. I know what it was like. That experience of knowing is the greatest gift.
- Your greatest gift to the world is to learn how to carry the message of transformation.
- You came to IIN to be a miracle worker.
- We go from body identification to spiritual identification.
- All your client’s want from you is your authentic truth, your true story, that you struggle too, how you recovered.
- If I’m going to serve I need to have a clear container, helps to put down bad habits and behaviors and start taking better care of self.
- We don’t have time to compare, attack and judge.
- You can go big, or you can get stuck.
Your body is the container through which you serve. How can you treat it with more love and respect.
You don’t need to figure it all out, all you need to do is ask. “How may I serve the world? How may I serve my body?”
Dr. Frank Lipman Teaches The 4 R’s
Last up was Dr. Frank Lipman from http://www.bewellbydrfranklipman.com/. He opened by sharing about his experience of becoming an acute care physician in South Africa under apartheid and how sometimes the sangomas, or witch doctors(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_healers_of_South_Africa) were able to help patients that he couldn’t.
He talked about the Functional medicine tree and the basic difference between western and functional medicine:
- Western – treat the leaves – disease model
- Functional – look at the trunk – underlying dysfunctions
- Need to look at the root causes.
- Inflammation – common mechanism of many diseases
We play “Whack-a-Mole” medicine in western medicine, moving from one symptom to the next without dealing with the root causes of the problem.
He said that when he doesn’t know where to start, he starts with treating digestive dysfunction.
- 70% of immune system in digestion, 2nd brain
- Imbalance digestion common cause of inflammation.
- Digestive tract, skin of your internal system
- 10x more organisms in digestive system than cells in your body.
The 4R program
Remove – the foods that could be triggering inflammation, elimination diet, sugar, gluten, dairy, soy, eggs. The key, removing bad bacteria, parasites in gut. Grapefruit seed extract
Replace – Replace enzymes, HCl, GERD often from too little acid. HCl or apple cider vinegar
Re-inoculate – microbiome,
Repair – the lining of the gut, glutamine
Make sure to tune in on Wednesday when I will share another article on my takeaway’s from the conference, these were meant to be more of a recap for all of you that couldn’t be there with us. Hope to see you at the next one.
Hi Geoff, Always interested in sharing ideas with people who care. Which business do you focus on?Reply